Here's a recipe for pumpkin soup that my family really enjoy.
- 3 c. low-fat chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 15 oz. can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 3 packed tbsp. dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg (fresh ground is best!)
- 3/4 c. packed grated sharp cheddar
Bring stock and cream to boil in heavy pot. Whisk in pumpkin, sugar, cumin, chili powder, coriander and nutmeg.
Reduce heat to medium and simmer until soup thickens slightly and flavors blend, about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish each serving with cheddar cheese and parsley.